Saturday, May 08, 2010

Fredette To Return For His Senior Year

I haven't been posting after every single NBA Draft decision, mostly because a lot of them were expected. If the decision is identical to what I projected in my 2010-11 conference previews in April then I'm probably not going to talk about it. But one that I am going to talk about is Jimmer Fredette, who will return to BYU for his senior season.

Fredette is obviously a very good scorer, and he'll be the best player on BYU next season. But more importantly, BYU was really going to be starving for offense if Fredette left. Jonathan Tavernari graduated, Tyler Haws left for a mission, and Michael Loyd, Jr. is a transfer. If Fredette left I don't even know who their top scoring option would have become. Jackson Emery?

Even with the loss of Loyd, BYU probably remains the favorite to take the Mountain West since New Mexico will lose Darrington Hobson to the Draft. UNLV and San Diego State have a good shot as well, as those four teams are very hard to separate right now. I expect all four to be back in the NCAA Tournament next season.

No comments: